‘We can confirm that you are finally able to take your baby home’. Woooohooooo! Amazing news, right?






‘We can confirm that you are finally able to take your baby home’. Woooohooooo! Amazing news, right? Well in reality my answer was somewhat mixed between Yes and No. Of course, I was overjoyed at the thought of taking our baby home and this was good news because it displayed that his condition was progressing. Yet I had anxiety about taking my baby home with this condition that I knew so little about. If you think back to my last post I spoke about finding the monitors at the hospitals scary at first but then they became a source of information. I now relied on them to tell me if there was anything wrong, so what would I do without them, how would I know if he wasn’t doing well and if something was going terribly wrong? Of course, the Doctors told me about any warning signs and what to look out for if he required to be submitted to hospital, but I was not satisfied.

I took our baby home and it was soooooo nice being back in the comfort of my own home. Although, my thoughts were really on whether I could take care of our baby or not. I was on panic mode and finding it very hard to relax. I’m sure a lot of parents can relate to some extent and have felt the same way as I did and it’s not an easy feeling. Yet just like everything else, you begin to flow with it, otherwise you will be washed away.
It was also very helpful that I had the contact details of the baby's clinical nurse and the doctors at GOSH (Great Ormond Street Hospital) to hand, so that if I really needed help, they were just one call away. Also, I had the support of my husband, family and friends, but let's face it, everybody gets busy with life and they cannot be around you all the time. So, I had to really learn to trust my instincts, but when I took my son to the local hospital and GP’s when I was concerned about something, they sometimes made me feel as though I was over exaggerating.
Having listened to other parents who had sick children I learnt that trusting your instincts is a necessity as a parent. You know your child better than anyone else so, when your child is sick you know whether it’s a minor cold or if it’s something more serious than that. The parents I had the opportunity to speak with at GOSH echoed these thoughts.  When the doctor’s sent them and their child home, thinking it was a mere virus because the symptoms they presented were almost identical, it was their instincts which saved the child’s life. They were told ‘if you had come in any later it would have been a different story’.

I know that sometimes you might contemplate whether to take your child to the GP’s or A&E as you don’t want to appear as one of those fussy parents. In some instances, you may be right as some parents are over the top, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I would rather take my child to get checked out and receive that patronising look from the nurse then risk my child’s health.
Being a parent is not an easy job but it’s by far the most enjoyable and the most rewarding.
These precious gifts that have been placed in our hands are our responsibility and we would do anything for them. So, when they are not well, you want to take their place. I never really knew what that meant when I didn’t have to children, to see someone go through such a horrible experience, and wish that you could take that pain and place it on yourself. What can you do? This is life and you don’t even know what’s around the corner. What you can expect is that ‘Guardians of the precious’ understands and is here for you.
I appreciate all your comments on the blog and all the support we have been receiving, it’s honestly overwhelming. If you need to talk or require any further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact us, we will do our best to support you.
Guardians of the precious- Here to support you, so you may support your precious.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those 5 hours felt like a lifetime, there were so many thoughts running through my mind. Is he going to make it?

Good Grief

Lockdown 2020